Book a Course
Following discussion with your manager please book training from LearnPro training events homepage, events section.
Immediate Life Support Recertification
In NHS Forth Valley, ILS courses are now suitable for all registered healthcare professionals. It should be noted however, that due to the limited number of places available priority will be given to nurses and junior doctors working in acute areas and AHPs with an extended scope of practice,
- ILS recertifcation is a half day course that should be attended yearly following the completion of a full day ILS course.
- The recertification courses are therefore ONLY suitable for staff who have previously successfully completed the full day ILS course, and are within one year of the expiry date on their ILS certificate (so within 2 years of your last ILS course).
- Staff for whom more than one year has elapsed since their initial ILS course certificate expired are not eligible to attend these courses, so MUST complete another full day ILS course.
The ILS recertification courses aims to provide update training in:
- The Assessment of the Acutely, deteriorating Adult, the ABCDE approach, initial airway management, using adjuncts, and initial resuscitation and defibrillation (manual and/or AED)
- How to manage patients in cardiopulmonary arrest until the arrival of the resuscitation team
- Participating as members of the resuscitation team
Pre course reading:
There is now an updated manual for the ILS courses, fourth edition, you should arrange to access this, prior to your course date. Most clinical areas have their own supply of manuals, that can be loaned for your pre course preparation, or they can be obtained from the library on Level 2 of the learning centre. If neither of these options are viable, you can contact the Resuscitation training department and we can arrange for you to have access to a manual.
To consolidate and test your knowledge, there is a Precourse assessment, accessible via the Role specific mandatory module section, on Learnpro, which can be completed prior to attending the course, after reading your manual.
- Immediate Life Support update
- There is one CASTeach demonstration emphasising managing the patients until the arrival of the cardiac arrest team and participating as a member of that team
- CASTeach 1: ABCDE approach, initial resuscitation and defibrillation
- CASTeach 2: Managing the first few minutes of a cardiac arrest and how to hand over care to the resuscitation team
There is no formal testing but continuous assessment will be used. Successful candidates will receive a Resuscitation Council (UK) ILS re-certification certificate, which is valid for one year