Book a Course
Following discussion with your manager please book training from LearnPro training events homepage, events section.
Immediate Life Support
In NHS Forth Valley, ILS courses are now suitable for any registered healthcare professional, and are also suitable for students in healthcare. However, given the limited number of spaces available priority will be given to nurses and junior doctors working in acute areas and AHPs with an extended scope of practice. The course is suitable for the following categories of staff:
- Medical students
- Registered Nurses
- Nursing students
- Cardiac / Respiratory Technicians
- Dental Nurses
- Ambulance Technicians / Paramedics
The full day ILS course is aimed at:
- Staff that have not completed an ILS course before
- Staff with ILS certificates that expired more than 1 year ago; so 2 or more years since their last ILS cours
The ILS course aims to meet the needs of staff that require more advanced skills than BLS but who do not require the more comprehensive ALS course. The ILS course provides training in:
- The Assessment of the Acutely Deteriorating Adult, the ABCDE approach, initial airway management, using adjuncts, and initial resuscitation and defibrillation (manual and/or AED)
- How to manage patients in cardiopulmonary arrest until the arrival of the resuscitation team
- Participating as members of the resuscitation team
Pre course preparation:
The course manual is essential pre course reading and it should be accessed a minimum of two weeks prior to your course date, as per the Resucitation council regulations. Most clinical areas, have their own supply of manuals, to be loaned to candidates for their course preparation, or they can be borrowed from the library on level 2 of the learning centre. Please ensure you organise this with your manager or library, in sufficient time to be able to attend the course. However, if you are unable to access a manual, Please contact the Resuscitation training department, to allow us to have a manual sent out to you in adequate time.
To assist with your pre course preparation and knowledge consolidation, there is a precourse assessment, available through Learnpro, which should be accessed once you have read your manual.
- Causes and prevention of cardiac arrest
- The Advanced Life Support algorithm
There is one CASTeach demonstration. Emphasis is placed on managing the patients until the arrival of the cardiac arrest team and participating as a member of that team
- ABCDE approach
- Initial resuscitation and defibrillation
- Airway management
- Optional targeted training
- Cardiac arrest scenarios (CASTeach)
There are no formal testing sessions but continuous assessment will be used. Successful candidates will receive a Resuscitation Council ( UK) ILS certificate, which is valid for one year.