Being more active is one of the best things you can do to improve your health and how you feel. Just 30mins of activity is all you need and you don’t have to go to a gym – walking, cycling, swimming or dancing will all help burn calories and improve your fitness. To find out how easy it could be watch this short video – it will make you think!
If you have an under-lying medical condition or haven’t taken any exercise for a long time, we recommend you speak to you GP before starting a new exercise regime.
To find out more about a wide range of activities, sports and events across Forth Valley visit:
For more information on being active and events across Scotland visit Active Scotland – you can also search for activities in your local area.
- For tips and advice on how to be more active visit Take Life On
Any physical activity is a step in the right direction; however, the table below highlights the recommended amount of physical activity to aim for.
|Accumulate 60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity every day.||Accumulate 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on at least 5 days of the week.||Accumulate 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on at least 5 days of the week.|
|Incorporate activity to enhance bone health, muscle strength, and flexibility.||Include activities that maintain or increase muscular strength and endurance.||Include activities that maintain strength, balance and flexibility.|
Moderate intensity should make you feel warmer and breathe more deeply but without any discomfort (e.g. a brisk walk)
Tips to becoming more active:
- Choose activities you enjoy – more likely to sustain it if you are enjoying yourself.
- Make active choices part of your daily routine ie use the stairs instead of a lift, walk to the shops or work.
- Set realistic and achievable short term and long term goals.
- Build up the intensity and frequency of activity gradually.
- Accumulate physical activity in short bouts throughout the day ie 10 minutes walking the dog, 10 minutes walk to work, 10 minutes mowing the lawn.
- Exercise with a friend is more enjoyable and you can encourage and support one another.
- Find out about local physical activity opportunities in your area.