On the 5th April 2011, the Equality Act 2010 introduced a new public sector ‘general equality duty’ which became law in Scotland. The new duty replaces the three previous duties relating to race, disability and gender equality.
The General Equality Duty requires Scottish public authorities to pay ‘due regard’ to the need to:
Eliminate unlawful discrimination, victimisation and harassment;
Advance equality of opportunity and
Foster good relations.
These requirements apply across the ‘protected characteristics’ of age; disability; gender reassignment; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion and belief; sex and sexual orientation.
To reflect these changes and further enhance the work we do to meet the diverse needs of our community and staff,NHS Forth Valley hasdeveloped a’Standard Impact Assessment Tool’ which replaces the existing Rapid Impact Assessment Tool.
A good Standard Impact Assessment does not have to be ‘war and peace’ in fact the opposite is true. Focusing on key questions and actions is much more likely to achieve a worthwhile assessment and lead to identifying realistic actions.
Following approval of this revised tool on the 15th June 2011 by the Fair for All Development Group, staff will now use the revised tool as from 28th June 2011.
An EQIA is completed in two stages:-
- Standard Impact Assessment
- Full Equality Impact assessment
The SIA Process will help you to:
- Develop policies that focus on positive outcomes and solutions
- Identify what is working well, in addition to what needs improving
- Encourage greater openness and involvement in policy making and service delivery
- Develop good practice
- Demonstrate Leadership on equality of service delivery
- Help to avoid claims of unlawful discrimination
Forms and Guidance
The following areas have been Equality Impact Assessed since 2006
- Standard EQIA Completed January – May 2016
- Standard EQIA Completed June – December 2015
- Standard EQIA Completed October – May 2015
- EQIA Screening Completed October – May 2015
- Standard EQIA Completed May – October 2014
- EQIA Screening Completed May – October 2014
- Standard EQIA Completed January – April 2014
- EQIA Screening Completed January – April 2014
- Standard EQIA Completed July – December 2013
- EQIA Screening Completed July – December 2013
Completed Equality Impact Assessments Jan – June 2013:
- Completed Equality Impact Assessments 2012
- Completed Equality impact Assessments 2011
- Completed Equality Impact Assessments 2010
Examples of completed Rapid Impact Assessments
Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)EQIA BestPractice examples
The EHRC have recently published ‘EQIA best practice examples’ which they feel would be useful for organisations to understand better how to comply with the equalities duties in practice.
Some of the examples include those which are particularly relevant to making financial decisions, inclusive communication information policy and the needs of people with learning and neuro -disabilities are addressed during changes to catering policy, amongst others.
Any queries in relation to Equality Impact Assessments completed please contact:
Equality and Diversity Project Manager
NHS Forth Valley,
Falkirk Community Hospital,
Telephone: 01324 574375
Mobile: 0777 0492 812
Fax: 01324 574330
(Mon – Thurs)