If you support an adult or child with a learning disability you will find a range of different resources below that could help you such as advice on how to effectively communicate with someone with a learning disability, how to support them with their mental health needs, and how to support yourself.
Communication is Key – Watch the video below for a first-hand account of what would make communication easier for a person with a learning disability.
Help for Supporters
- Support for Carers of Adult with a Learning Disability – Mencap have provided a page dedicated to support for those caring for someone with a learning disability which includes advice about your rights and the carers act, access to helpline support, useful information, and how to access an online community of support from other similar to yourself.
Meeting The Challenge – guides for people with a learning disability and supporters
Sometimes people with a learning disability may find it difficult to communicate how they are feeling. This could result in them presenting with more challenging behaviours. This guide is provided in regular and easy read format to help with managing challenging behaviour.
Activity Resources for People with Learning Disabilities
The two resources have been developed by Mencap and BILD. They contain ideas for planning activities that are meaningful. These activities will aim to keep the people you support busy and provide structure to their day.
Mental Health Self-Help for People with a Learning Disability
- NHS Forth Valley Patient Information Leaflets (Easy Read) – Downloadable information and advice on a wide range of commonly experienced mental health and physical health issues and difficulties in an easy read format that will help you to support someone with a learning disability.
- Self-Help Guides (Easy Read) – A range of mental health self-help guides developed by NHS Cumberland, Northumberland, Tyne, and Wear that include information and advice for specific concerns i.e. stress, abuse, low mood etc.
- SCLD Self-Help Booklets Easy Read – A range of booklets to offer emotional support and guidance for a variety of mental health difficulties.
- Self-Help Videos (YouTube) – Videos centring on how to manage feelings of anxiety and sadness and an introduction to mindfulness and breathing exercises.
- Fighting UK Poverty – Turn2us
Making Choices, Keeping Safe
- MCKS Policy (Making Choices, Keeping Safe) – Relationships & sexual health policy and best practice for those who support adults with a learning disability.
- Challenging Behaviour Foundation – Information for families caring for people with severe learning disabilities who have challenging behaviour.
Tel: 0300 666 0126
- Mencap – Specific advice and support relating to learning disabilities and issues surrounding this.
Tel: 0808 808 1111 (9am – 3pm, Mon – Fri)
- Carers Centre – Information and advice for carers over email or the phone.
Tel: 01324 611510 (Falkirk) 01259 226839 (Clackmannanshire) 01786 447 003 (Stirling)
- Afasic – Helpline providing advice and information, listening and signposting for parents of children and young adults who have speech, language and communication impairments.
Tel: 0300 666 9410