If you are a child, parent, carer, early years provider or anyone working with children and young people and are looking for recipes, ideas of food activities or if you are looking for support around planning and shopping for family meals, then visit the websites below for further information.
- Food and Recipes – Why Weight (NHS Forth Valley)
- Grow and Cook (NHS Forth Valley) – Packed full of easy to follow picture recipes and growing guides.
- Nutrition Resources (NHS Forth Valley)
Healthy Eating & Cooking Skills Videos
- Eat Well, Your Way (Food Standards Scotland) – A resource to help you make small, manageable healthier food and drink choices.
- Online Healthy Eating Tutorial (Food Standards Scotland)
- Get the Facts (British Nutrition Foundation)
- Simple Guide To Kitchen Skills (Veg Power) – Become a kitchen Ninja – follow the 8 simple skills and how to videos.
- Cooking Videos (Food A Fact of Life) – Loads of videos explaining how to get started cooking, to using equipment properly and preparing ingredients.
- Cooking Videos – Let’s Get Cooking At Home (British Dietetic Association) – A range of videos that teach basic cooking skills.
- Videos (Nutrition Scotland) – Learning hub has a range of videos to help people learn about food and health as well as develop new food skills.
- Cook-a-Long Videos (Parent Club) – videos are all about cooking quick and tasty meals for your family. Just click on the meal you want to make and cookalong.
Activities, Colouring Sheets & Puzzles
- Activity Ideas and Resources (Food A Fact of Life)
- Healthy Living Resources for Children – Eat Move Learn (World Cancer Research Fund)
- School – Lesson Plans (Veg Power) – Exploring food from around the world.
- Resources and Activity Sheets (Veg Power) – Make learning about food fun. From posters to puzzles to teaching aids and much more.
- Resources (Eat Them to Defeat Them)
- Food Lab (Parent Club) – Get the whole family involved in trying new foods –transform your kitchen into a lab and your kids into food sampling scientists.
- Food and their Functions – Activity Sheet (NHS Forth Valley)
- Eat, Move and Learn (World Cancer Research Fund)
Factsheets & Posters
- Food Facts (British Dietetic Association) – Our Food Fact Sheets are written by dietitians to help you learn the best ways to eat and drink to keep your body fit and healthy. Lots of useful information – Healthy packed lunches and snacks, Autism and Diet, Healthy Breakfast and much more…
- Factsheets (Nutrition Scotland)
- Food Skills and Cooking Techniques – Poster (Food A Fact of Life)
- Posters (Food A Fact of Life)
Meal Planners, Reward Charts & Calendars
- Meal Planning Guide (Parent Club) – with printable shopping list and meal plan templates.
- Meal Planner (Parent Club)
- Resources to download, including a shopping list (Parent Club)
- Family Change Checker (NHS Forth Valley)
- Family Fitness File (NHS Forth Valley)
- Family Rules Worksheet (NHS Forth Valley)
- My Weekly Meal Planner (NHS Forth Valley)
- My Daily Thinking Diary (NHS Forth Valley)
- Reward Chart (VegPower)
- Eat the Rainbow – Wallchart (VegPower)
- Seasonal Fruit and Veg Calendar (Parent Club)
- Seasonal Veg Guide (VegPower)
Online Interactive Games and Quizzes
- Interactive Eatwell Guide (Food Standards Scotland)
- Interactive Games and Quizzes (Food A Fact of Life) – A selection of interactive games and quizzes to support learning from home.
- Online Interactive Nutrition Games (Food Standards Scotland) – Education resources that deliver food safety and healthy eating messages.
- 10 minute Shake Up Games (Better Health, Healthier Families) – Get the kids moving with these fun games inspired by some of their favourite Disney characters.
Tools and Apps
- Better Health – Apps and Tools (NHS) – Lots of great free tools to support you and your family improve aspects for your wellbeing.
- Food Portion Calculator (Love Food Hate Waste) – Your guide to perfect portion sizes.
- Food Scanner App (NHS) – Better Health, Healthier Families.
- Food Switch App (Action on Salt) – A free app that can help you make healthier food choices.
Other Useful Links and Further Information
- Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods (Parent Club) – These are payments that help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child. They’re part of the 5 family payments you may be able to get from Social Security Scotland. Find out if you’re entitled to this family benefit.
- Community Nutrition (NHS Forth Valley)
- Nutrition Resources (NHS Forth Valley)
- Choose To Lose (NHS Forth Valley)
- Food Standards Scotland
- First Steps Nutrition
- Let’s Get Cooking At Home
- Love Food, Hate Waste
- Parent Club
- Play Scotland
- Simply Veg
- Veg Power
- Eat, Move and Learn (WCRF)