Set up simple weigh-in sessions at work and encourage staff and colleagues in your workplace to make healthier lifestyle choices.
NHS Forth Valley’s Healthy Working Lives team partnered up with the Nutrition and Dietetic Health Improvement Team and developed this 10 week workplace weight management programme to guide and support workplaces wanting to run their own weight management sessions for their staff, without the need for specialist training.
The programme which can be delivered over 10 weeks encourages individuals to take personal responsibility for managing their own weight and promotes self monitoring strategies such as regular weight checks, diary keeping and setting small, realistic and achievable goals. Research suggests that individuals who monitor their own weight and track their progress are more successful at losing weight and managing to keep it off for longer.
Group weigh-in / information sessions are a helpful way to support people to maintain or lose weight, the interaction and encouragement from the people around them can act as a great motivator.
The programme focuses on a different topic each week , providing facilitators with some key background information, useful nutrition and physical activity resources and links. Some of the resources can be downloaded from the links at the bottom of this page and for organisations based within Forth Valley, others can be ordered free from NHS Forth Valley’s Health Improvement Resource Service (HIRS) Library.
Facilitators can choose whether to run a simple drop-in weighing session to keep colleagues on track, or deliver some hints and tips in line with the weekly session plans.
What will you need?
- A set of reliable bathroom scales
- A quiet room for weigh in sessions to take place
- 2 -3 enthusiastic co-ordinators from your workplace who are keen to facilitate the weekly weigh-in / information sessions
- Access to the online weekly session plans
What you need to do:
- Advertise your eventwith: Poster 1 or Poster 2
- Invite employees to complete the Pledge
- Record your own weight weekly on this Weight Record Card
- Facilities can record the groups weight using this Group Weight Record Sheet
Choose to Lose @Work Programme
Need more information or help?
Where there is sufficient demand, support or training can be offered to organisations (based in Forth Valley) who would like to build some extra knowledge or skills to deliver weigh-in sessions. Promotional materials may be provided on request. Please contact Pamela Murray, Public Health Dietitian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Workplace Weight Webinar
Posters and Pledges
- Measuring Weight Poster
- Poster 1 – Healthier You
- Poster 2 – Slimmer For Summer
- Pledge / Promise Agreement
- Facilitators Weigh-In Record Sheet
Other Useful Downloads
Further Information (External Websites)
- BDA – Work Ready
- Workplace Health – NHS
- Eat Better Feel Better
- Health at Work – BHF
- Healthy Eating at Work – BHF
- Healthy Living Award
- Healthy Working Lives
- Weight Loss Plan – NHS
- Jog Scotland
- Active 10
- 12 Week Weight Loss Programme – NHS Inform
- 12 Week Weight Loss Guide – NHS England
Useful Apps and Tools
- BDA – Healthy Breakfast
- BDA – Packed Lunches
- BDA – Portion Sizes
- BDA – Weight Loss
- BDA – Fluid
- BDA – Food and Mood
- Let’s Talk Weight – Practitioners Pack
Self Monitoring Tools (pdfs)
- Self Monitoring Workbook – Full
- *NEW Video – Guide to using this workbook
- Are You Ready
- Benefits Versus Barriers
- Benefits of Weight Loss Poster
- Food and Activity Diary
- Get The Balance Right
- Making Lifestyle Changes
- My SMART Goals
- Eatwell Guide – Get the balance right
- My Achievements
- Ten Tips To Keep The Weight Off
- Weight Record Sheet