Our Health Improvement Team have developed a range of resources, leaflets and toolkits to support and enable staff and organisations to deliver consistant healthy eating messages and food related activities. These resources can be either downloaded, accessed from Health Improvement Resource Service (HIRS) or copies may be available directly from our department. Some of the resources below have been produced by external organisations.
Community Resource Leaflets
- Nutrition and Oral Health Resources for the Community – This leaflet highlights some nutrition resources and websites that community groups might use to promote nutrition and oral health.
- Nutrition and Oral Health Resources for Practical Cooking Sessions -This leaflet highlights some practical cooking resources that community groups might use to promote good nutrition.
Leaflets and Booklets
- Eatwell Guide – Information Booklet
- Vegetarian Eatwell Guide – The Vegetarian Society
- Interactive Online Eatwell Guide
- Eatwell Guide – Self Monitoring Flyer
- South Asian Eatwell Plate – Flyer
- Fuel For Living Recipe Booklet – Recipes and ideas to help you reach your 5 aday!
Eat Well, Feel Great – Leaflets
- Eat Well Feel Great – Healthy Eating
- Eat a variety of fruit as part of your 5 a day
- Eat a variety of vegetables as part of your 5 a day
- Eat breakfast everyday
- Eat fish at least twice a week
- Eat less salt and taste more
- Eat some starchy food at each meal
- Drink more water
- You Guide to Food Labels – Card Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 72/L
- Food Labelling – Nutrition Information – British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheet.
- Food Labelling Information Sheet
- The Vegetarian Society have a wide variety of resources from information booklets and recipes to campaign posters and postcards.
- Vitamin D – Are you getting enough? NHS Forth Valley Infographic Poster
- Vitamin D – Are you getting enough? NHS Forth Valley Postcard
- Vitamin D – British Dietetic Association Factsheet
Practical Food Activities and Recipes
How to…Recipe sheets
Our ‘How to…’ recipes sheets are packed full of tasty, simple and cheap recipes that are easy and quick to prepare. You only need a few basic ingredients to make these healthy and tasty meals. The recipe sheets also have useful tips and a notes section which can be used to plan your shopping list.
- How to – Soups..
- How to – Lunches..
- How to – Mains..
- How to – Veggies..
- How to – Fish..
- How to – Puddings..
Food Safety Guidelines
- Kitchen Safety Guidelines
- Food Hygiene and Safety Guidelines for Cooking Classes
- Guidelines for safe storage of leftover food
This leaflet is aimed at pregnant women with a BMI of 30 or over. The leaflet encourages pregnant women to start thinking about making healthier food and lifestyle choices. It reinforces key healthy eating messages and encourages women to self record and make small changes that can be built easily into everyday routine. Weight loss is not recommended during pregnancy, however it is important you don’t gain too much weight during pregnancy.
Toolkits and Displays
Eatwell – Floor Mat and Food Models
Fat Chance: A Closer Look at Fast Food Display
- This display contains food models with corresponding test tubes that provide a graphic representation of the saturated and unsaturated fat content of common foods. Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 86/K1
Fat Finders Display
- This display features common foods that contain significant amounts of fat. Can be used as a stand alone display/educational activities. Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 87/K
- This resource raises awareness of the amount of added sugars in common snack foods and drinks. Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 74/K1
Swap and Save Toolkit
- Sugar and fat cubes used to illustrate the amount of hidden sugar and fats in a range of snack foods and drinks. Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 72/K1
What’s for dinner? Toolkit – Reducing food waste and saving money
- Session Plans
- Reduce food waste and save money on your shopping – Leaflet Available from HIRS Resource Code: NUT 99/K1 and NUT 99/K2
Other Resources and Links
- British Dietetic Association – Food Fact Sheets
- British Nutrition Foundation
- Food Standards Scotland
- Choose To Lose…and keep weight off for good!
- Choose To Lose At Work
- Food Miles ‘Plus’ Resource Pack © Available from HIRS Resource code(s): NUT 93/K1, NUT 93/K2.
- For more information contact Forth Environment Link
- The Dairy Council
- Vegetarian Society – Information Booklet