Below are details of some resources that are specifically aimed at health professionals working with parents and carers.
For more information or to dowload information leaflets visit Nutrition Resources for Parents and Carers
Maternal and Infant Resource Leaflet
- Maternal and Infant Nutrition and Oral Health Resources -This leaflet highlights key resources available from NHS Forth Valley to support positive nutrition and oral health messages.
Local Breastfeeding Support Groups
Find out more about breastfeeding support groups running throughout Forth Valley:
- Local Breastfeeding Groups – Forth Valley
- Visit feedgood.scot a mobile friendly website for parents and health professional to find all the information they need about breastfeeding and other feeding options. From step-by-step ‘how to’ guides and experiences of real mums, to video clips and pictures to help with feeding.
- National Breastfeeding Helpline – 0300 100 0212
New Breastfeeding booklet and posters from Health Scotland
The Off to A Good Start (OTAGS) booklet aims to help pregnant women, new mums and their families make decisions about how they will feed their baby. It gives practical advice, including: information about developing a close and loving relationship with your baby; the benefits of breastfeeding; the difference between breast milk and formula and how breastfeeding works (including positioning and attachment). Access the posters and new materials on Health Scotland’s website.
Useful Leaflets and Resources
- Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) Scotland have produced an information sheet for midwives. Reducing Child Poverty before and after birth highlights practical steps that midwives can take to maximise the income available to families and increase their financial security.
- Early Years – Practical Strategies for Promoting Physical Activity – This practice briefing funded by the British Heart Foundation is designed to give practitioners and managers of early years settings practical ideas for promoting physical activity with the under fives
- Eating Well Sustainably – A Guide for Early Years Settings – First Steps Nutrition Trust – The guide provides simple guidance on: planning sustainable menus, shopping for food, waste and storing food, cooking and preparing food and growing food in an Early Years setting.
- Healthy Start – Resources for Health Professionals Some resources are available in different languages.
- Improving Wellbeing Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014 – This e-resource has been developed by NES following commissioning by the Scottish Government for all NHS staff (in clinical and non clinical roles) throughout Scotland.
- Guide To Weaning – Toolkit Portable weaning resource for staff involved in educating and supporting parent/carers.
- Getting Started – Quick and easy recipes for baby and all the family – A pictorial step by step guide detailing how to prepare family meals which are adaptable for weaning.
- Healthy Happy Kids – This series of NHS Health Scotland publications for the public and health professionals tackles the issue of child healthy weight.
- Make & Taste For Tiny Tums – Booklet Quick and easy, no cook snacks and recipes for parents and carers to make with their children. For staff working with parents and carers there is a Make and Taste Toolkit
- Perfect Portions for Toddler Tums – Downloadable resources for Health Professionals working with toddlers.
- Ten Tantalising Tastes For Tiny Tums This resource contains a number of quick and easy, non-cook recipes that can be used as food activities with small groups of children.
- Vitamin D Advice – Scottish Government.
- Vitamin D and You – Leaflet – NHS Health Scotland
Infant Formula Resources
- Infant Milks in the UK – A practical guide for health professionals – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Specialized Infant Milks in the UK – Information for health professionals – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Infant Formula Milks – An Overview – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Infant Milks – A Simple Guide – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Fortified Milks for Children – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Costs of infant milks marketed in UK – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Early Years Information Pathway – Health professionals guide through the national information resources available to support effective communication with parents and improve maternal and child health outcomes.
- Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) – Scottish Government.
- Health Promoting Health Service evidence briefing on breastfeeding Read the briefing
- Setting the table – Nutritional guidance and food standards for early years childcare providers in Scotland – This guidance has been developed to help Early Years childcare providers to meet the Scottish Government National Care Standards: Early Education and Childcare up to the age of 16 (2009).
- Complimentary Feeding (Weaning) – introduction of Solid Food to an Infants Diet (2013) – British Dietetic Association Weaning Policy Statement.