Below are details of some resources that are specifically aimed at health professionals working with parents and carers.
For more information or to download information leaflets visit Nutrition Resources for Parents and Carers
If you work in the early years setting – eg Nurseries, Early Learning Childcare Centres, family centres you may find our
Early Years Nutrition and Oral Health Resource flyer helpful.
Maternal and Pregnancy Resources
- Best Start Grant – Pregnancy and Baby Payment – Stakeholders Toolkit
- Eating well in pregnancy – First Steps Nutrition Trust
- Folic Acid: Before and during pregnancy – NHS Health Scotland – Available from HIRS Library – Code: PRE 12/L
- Healthy Start – Visit the health professionals webpage for more information.
- Managing my weight during my pregnancy – NHS Forth Valley booklet for pregnant women who have a Body Mass Index of 30 or over.
- Parent Club – Scottish Government website is full of the latest babies and toddler hints and tips from real parents and professionals. Visit for tips on eating, sleeping, playing and more! It also has information about Scotland’s Baby Box
- Pregnancy – and other BDA Food Fact Sheets
- Shop, cook, eat during pregnancy – NHS Forth Valley leaflet
- The Young Parent Survival Guide – NHS Health Scotland
- Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) Scotland have produced an information sheet for midwives. Reducing Child Poverty before and after birth highlights practical steps that midwives can take to maximise the income available to families and increase their financial security.
- Local Breastfeeding Groups – Find your nearest Breastfeeding Group.
- NHS Forth Valley – Breastfeeding Welcome Poster – Download this poster and display in your workplace.
- Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme – Guidance for staff – Email Lesley Hetherington for further information.
- The Unicef UK Baby Friendly Initiative supports breastfeeding and parent infant relationships by working with public services to improve standards of care.
- Visit Parent Club for further information on feeding your baby and much more..
- National Breastfeeding Helpline – 0300 100 0212
- Off to a Good Start: All you need to know about breastfeeding – This NHS Health Scotland booklet and posters aim to help pregnant women, new mums and their families make decisions about how they will feed their baby.
Infant Formula Resources
- Formula Feeding: How to feed your baby safely – NHS Health Scotland booklet, also available in Polish.
- Infant Milks in the UK – A practical guide for Health Professionals – First Steps Nutrition Trust, February 2019.
- Infant Milks: Information For Parents and Carers – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Making the most of Healthy Start – A practical guide to support families and to help them get the most out of the Healthy Start scheme. The guide provides a range of healthy family recipes using ingredients that can be bought with Healthy Start food vouchers and shows how these can feed the whole family.
- Specialized Infant Milks in the UK – Information for health professionals – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Infant Formula Milks – An Overview – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Infant Milks – A Simple Guide – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Fortified Milks for Children – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Costs of infant milks marketed in UK – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
Starting Solids (Weaning) Resources
- Baby Foods in the UK – First Steps Nutrition Trust – A review of commercially produced jars and pouches of baby foods marketed in the UK.
- Complementary Feeding (Weaning) Your Child – BDA Food Fact sheet.
- Eating well for infants and new mums – First Steps Nutrition Trust.
- Fun First Foods: An easy guide to introducing solid foods – NHS Health Scotland booklet.
- Getting Started – Quick and easy recipes for baby and all the family – NHS Forth Valley booklet – A pictorial step by step guide detailing how to prepare family meals which are adaptable for starting solids.
- Guide To Weaning – Toolkit NHS Forth Valley resource for staff involved in educating and supporting parent and carers.
- How to wean your baby – NHS Forth Valley postcard.
- Parent Club – Scottish Government website is full of the latest babies and toddler hints and tips from real parents and professionals. Visit for tips on starting solids, sleeping, playing and more!
- The Young Parent Survival Guide – NHS Health Scotland
Early Years Resources
- Early Years – Practical Strategies for Promoting Physical Activity – This practice briefing funded by the British Heart Foundation is designed to give practitioners and managers of early years settings practical ideas for promoting physical activity with the under fives.
- Eating well in the early years – First Steps Nutrition Trust. They have a range of resources and information on healthy snacks, good food choices and portion sizes, packed lunch ideas and a recipe book for children aged 1 to 4 years.
- Eating Well Sustainably – A Guide for Early Years Settings – First Steps Nutrition Trust – The guide provides simple guidance on: planning sustainable menus, shopping for food, waste and storing food, cooking and preparing food and growing food in an Early Years setting.
- Make and Taste for Tiny Tums – Recipe Book NHS Forth Valley Quick and easy, no cook snacks and recipes for parents and carers to make with their children. For staff working with parents and carers there is a Make and Taste – Session Planner and Evaluation Sheet. If you would like a Make and Taste Pack then email Lesley Hetherington .
- Parent Club – This Scottish Government website is full of the latest hints and tips from parents and professionals. Visit today for tips on eating, sleeping, playing and more!
- Perfect Portions for Toddler Tums – British Nutrition Foundation leaflet supports parents to provide their toddler with a healthy, balanced and varied diet.
- Ten Tantalising Tastes For Tiny Tums NHS Forth Valley booklet contains a number of quick and easy, non-cook recipes that can be used as food activities with small groups of children.
- Vitamin D Advice – Scottish Government.
- Vitamin D and You – Leaflet – Also available in Polish, Chinese and Urdu. NHS Health Scotland.
- Early Years Information Pathway – Health professionals guide through the national information resources available to support effective communication with parents and improve maternal and child health outcomes.
- Scottish Government Results from Maternal and Infant Nutrition Survey 2017.
- Setting the table – Nutritional guidance and food standards for early years childcare providers in Scotland – This guidance has been developed to help Early Years childcare providers to meet the Scottish Government National Care Standards: Early Education and Childcare up to the age of 16 (2009).
- Vitamin D Information for Health Professionals in Scotland.