Eat Well, Feel Great
Eating a healthy, well balanced and varied diet is important for good health and well being and can help you manage your weight. It can also help reduce the risk of developing health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes and certain cancers.
It is important to eat a variety of foods from the different food groups, to ensure you are providing your body with the nutrients needed to keep you healthy inside and out.
The Eatwell Guide makes healthier eating easier to understand. It illustrates the types and proportions of foods needed for a healthy and well balanced diet.
This model includes everything you eat during the day, including snacks.
- Eatwell Guide – Self Monitoring Flyer
- Find out more about The Eatwell Guide
- You can learn more about Food and Diet at NHS Choices
Top Tips for Eating Well
1. Base your meals on starchy foods such as bread, cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta or noodles. Try to choose wholegrain varieties whenever you can.
- Find out more about Starchy Foods
2. Eat lots of a variety of fruit and vegetables
Try to eat at least 5 portions each day.
- Find out more about Fruit and Vegetables
3. Eat more fish
Try to eat at least 2 portions of fish a week, one of which should be oily.
- Find out more about Fish and Shellfish
4. Cut down on saturated fat and sugar
5. Try to eat less salt
Adults should aim to have no more than 6g of salt a day and children should have even less. Check food labels and choose foods labelled ‘Reduced Salt’ or ‘No Added Salt’. Gradually reduce the amount of salt you add at the table and during cooking and instead use other seasonings such as garlic, herbs, spices or lemon juice.
- Find out more Salt – The Facts.
6. Drink plenty water
Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses, cups or mugs of fluid a day, ideally water.
- Find out more about Water and Drinks.
7. Don’t skip breakfast
Start your day the healthy way!
- A Healthy Breakfast: The best start to your day -The British Dietetic Food Factsheet gives more information on what makes breakfasts healthy.
8. Get active and try to be a healthy weight