Flu Vaccinations Set to Begin in Forth Valley
Flu vaccinations are beginning in Forth Valley, with the first taking place in Bo’ness on Monday 28th September followed by the Falkirk area. This year, due to Covid-19, a very different approach is being taken to maintain physical distancing and help keep safe.
The majority of people will be immunised in a local ‘community hub’ and will receive a letter giving them an appointment time and details of where to attend. Large venues such as Falkirk Town Hall, Dobbie Hall in Larbert, Bo’ness and Grangemouth Town Halls, Stirling Albert Halls and Alloa Town Hall have been booked, and each person will be seen within a 15-minute appointment time.
Around 20% of GP practices, many of those in more rural areas, have opted to carry out their own immunisations but these will not necessarily be in a local practice and could involve nearby medical centres with larger accommodation.
A number of local pharmacies* will also provide flu vaccinations to care home staff and those providing care at home. And, like last year, pharmacies will also immunise people with substance misuse problems.
NHS Forth Valley GP Clinical Lead, Dr Stuart Cumming, said: “We appreciate that some people, particularly in the over 65 age group with underlying health conditions, may have difficulty in getting to their appointment. If there are issues, such as if they are housebound, there will be a number to contact on their appointment letter to make alternative arrangements.”
“We understand that this year is very different to the normal arrangements but are urging people to realise that flu can be very serious and, coupled with the risk of Covid-19, it is vitally important to take up the invitation if you are offered a free flu vaccine this year.
NHS Forth Valley Director of Public Health, Dr Graham Foster, added: “The more people get vaccinated against flu, the more it will protect the population, and help our NHS avoid the pressure that a spike in seasonal flu would put on top of Covid-19. By everyone playing their part, we can help stop the spread of the flu virus this winter and continue to protect our NHS for those who need it the most.”
Social care workers, people over the age of 55 and household members of people who have been shielding will all be eligible for the free flu vaccine. The Scottish Government will look to extend this to those aged 50-54 if vaccine supplies allow. This is in addition to those eligible in previous years – those aged 65 and over, those with underlying health conditions, pregnant women, children aged between 2 and 5, primary school pupils, healthcare workers and young unpaid carers.
The specific target groups include those with chronic illnesses which can make flu much more dangerous, including people with heart disease, chest complaints such as bronchitis, emphysema or asthma, chronic kidney failure, cystic fibrosis, lowered immunity due to disease or treatment, diabetes or liver problems.
For more information go to NHS Inform.
Community Pharmacies in Forth Valley taking part in the flu immunisation programme for care home and home care staff are listed below:
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 55 Bridge Street, Dollar
- Well Pharmacy, 60 High Street Alloa
- Lindsay&Gilmour, 81 Main Street, Sauchie
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, Richmond Terrace, Bo’Ness
- Lindsay&Gilmour, The Toll, Bonnybridge
- Boots UK Ltd, 79/91 High Street, Falkirk
- Lindsay&Gilmour, Bonnybridge Health Centre, Larbert Road
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 334 Thornhill Road, Falkirk
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, Hallam Road, Stenhousemuir Town Centre
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 316/318 Main Street, Camelon
- Tesco Stores Ltd, Central Retail Park, New Grahams Road
- Lindsay&Gilmour, 16 Central Avenue, Grangemouth
- T Mclean & Sons Ltd, 13 King Street, Stenhousemuir
- Boots UK Ltd, 60 South Street, Bo’Ness
- Well Pharmacy, Unit 2, Carron Centre, Ronades Road
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 29a La Porte Precinct, Grangemouth
- Well Pharmacy, 120 Kilsyth Road, Haggs
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 96-98 Grahams Road, Falkirk
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 338 Main Street, Stenhousemuir
- Hallglen Pharmacy, Unit 2, Hallglen Centre, New Hallglen Road
- Right Medicine Pharmacy, 88 Main Street, Carronshore
- Airth Pharmacy Ltd, 2 Shore Road, Airth
- Deans Pharmacy, 63 Main Road, Maddiston
- Callendar Pharmacy, 171 High Street, Falkirk
- Boots UK Ltd, 34-41 Kings Mall, Thistle Shopping Centre
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, 12 Barnton Street, Stirling
- Mr C C Shimmins & Mrs A C Shimmins, 3 The Cross, Doune
- Right Medicine Pharmacy, 11 Main Street, Bannockburn
- Cowie Pharmacy, 32A Main Street, Cowie
- Lindsay&Gilmour, 15 Bannockburn Road, St Ninians
- Superdrug Stirling, Unit 2, Orchilview Mall, Thistle Centre, Goosecroft Road
- Right Medicine Pharmacy, The Shopping Precinct, Andrew Miller Building
- A G Bannerman Ltd, 4 Anderson Street, Well Place
- A G Bannerman Ltd, 48 High Street, Dunblane
- Fallin Pharmacy, 8 The Square, Fallin
- Lindsay&Gilmore, 5 Firs Entry, Bannockburn
- Davidsons Chemist, 10 Southview Road, Strathblane
- Cambusbarron Pharmacy, 4 Main Street, Cambusbarron
- Davidsons Chemist, Eastmost Shop, Myrtle Grove
- Davidsons Chemist, 44 Main Street, Drymen
- Lloyds Pharmacy Ltd, Sainsbury Store Off, Drip Road/Back O’Hill Road
- Aberfoyle Pharmacy, Main Street, Aberfoyle