NHS Forth Valley Suspends Hospital Visiting
NHS Forth Valley is suspending visiting across all its hospitals and inpatient wards from Wednesday 25th March 2020 to help limit the spread of COVID-19, protect our patients and ensure the safety of our staff.
Prof Angela Wallace, NHS Forth Valley’s Director of Nursing, said: “We want people to follow the latest national guidance to stay at home however we recognise that there are some exceptional circumstances, including patients who are receiving end-of-life care, where family members may need to be with their loved one. These situations will be assessed on an individual basis in discussion with the senior nurse in charge of the ward.
“Our staff are working tirelessly to prepare for an expected rise in COVID-19 cases and we really appreciate the cooperation and support of the local people across Forth Valley to help protect our patients and staff. Staff will also work closely with local patients and their families to identify ways of helping them to stay in touch and keep connected during this challenging time.”
The suspension applies with the exception of the following situations and visitors are also asked to consider whether a visit is essential even in these circumstances.
- Maternity Unit – a birth partner during child birth who must remain within the Maternity Unit at all times.
- Neonatal Unit – Only parents are permitted to visit and they should remain with their baby at all times.
- Children’s Ward – Only parents are permitted to visit and they should remain with their child at all times.
- Mental Health – to support someone with a mental health issue such as dementia, a learning disability or autism where not being present would cause the patient to be distressed
- Palliative Care – for a person receiving end-of-life care
The latest information and advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found on www.nhsinform.scot. A free helpline has also been set up for those who do not have symptoms but are looking for general coronavirus (COVID-19) health advice 0800 028 2816.