The Forth Valley Royal Hospital (FVRH) Children’s Diabetes Team is a dedicated group of health professionals who look after children with diabetes up to the age of 16 years.
At diagnosis, we will:
- Meet you and introduce you to your team.
- Explain the diagnosis of diabetes and help you understand it.
- Support you in this challenging time.
- Educate you on the use of blood glucose monitoring and providing insulin therapy.
- Help you to start integrating diabetes care into daily life.
Once you go home, we will:
- Keep in regular contact by phone and in person.
- Continue to deliver training and education on diabetes.
- Speak to other family members if required.
- Start education processes with school or nursery to ensure your child is safely looked after wherever they are.
- Introduce helpful resources and family support groups.
In the long term, we will:
- Support you to become more and more independent in managing diabetes.
- Be available for advice and support whenever you need it.
- Keep in contact through clinic appointments (in person, virtual or over the phone).
- Perform regular health checks in line with national guidelines.
- Keep you up to date with latest research and technology.
- Give you easy access to urgent advice and care through the Diabetes Team and the Children’s Ward.
- Provide a smooth transition process jointly with our Adult Diabetes Team colleagues to help in moving up to the Young Adult Diabetes Service.
What we ask of you
- Engagement with the Diabetes Team and the education process.
- Regular attendance at clinic.
- Sharing your diabetes data with us so we can jointly make helpful and safe decisions about your child’s care.
- Use your diabetes technology as intended to get the most out of it.
- Let the Diabetes Team know if you have concerns or difficulties.
- Give us feedback so we can improve our service to you.
Meet the team
Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurses
Paediatric Diabetes Doctors
The FVRH Children’s Diabetes Team is available for direct contact from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
Tel: 01324 567177
If the phone is not answered straight away, please do leave a message on the answering machine. Depending on clinical workload, we may not be able to phone back on the same day but we will always endeavour to call you back by the next day.
After 5pm, on weekends and on public holidays you have open access to the FVRH Children’s Ward for advice and/or review via tel: 01324 567203.