Our key objective is to work with third sector, local authority and NHS partners to improve the oral health of people living and working in Forth Valley.
Oral Health Improvement in Forth Valley is delivered collaboratively by the Health Improvement Service, Public Dental Service, Oral Health Improvement (OHI) team and Public Health Nutrition (AHP Dietetics).
Our work spans across the life cycle, with various programmes supporting oral health improvement.
Childsmile is a national programme which aims to improve the dental health of children in Scotland.
Setting the Table is the nutritional guidance and food standards produced by Public Health Scotland for early years childcare providers in Scotland. It is being currently reviewed and updated and will be formally re-launched in Autumn 2023.
The Health Improvement Service and Public Health Nutrition will continue to support Early Years childcare providers to implement the guidance within their settings through delivery of interactive training and workshops.
Smile4Life is the national programme which aims to support individuals to access dental treatment and improve their oral health care. The programme supports staff and volunteers to provide tailored interventions meeting the needs of the people they work with. The team support many health and social care organisations/professionals, in particular those supporting individuals experiencing; homelessness, mental health issues, deprivation, substance misuse and inequality.
Smile4Life also supports Community Pharmacies to provide oral health messages to individuals receiving Opiate Substitution Therapy.
For more information on the Smile4Life Programme, email: FV.firstname.lastname@example.org
Mouth Matters is the national programme that aims to improve the oral health of people in prison. For further information on the programme contact Zareen Iqbal (Health Improvement Service) by email at email@example.com or the OHI Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Wide is an oral health improvement programme for adults with additional care needs. For further information on the programme contact the OHI Team at email@example.com.
Caring for Smiles is Scotland’s national oral health promotion, training and support programme, which aims to improve the oral health of older people, particularly those living in care homes. For further information on the programme contact the OHI Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Programmes & Campaigns
The Health Improvement Service also support other programmes, including, workplace health, education and other community projects. The team support Oral Health Campaigns, including National Smile Month (May/June) and Mouth Cancer Action Month (November).
Training, Support & Local Resources
- Smile4Life training and resources for organisations and services supporting individuals in the community – apply here.
- Open Wide Training and resources for organisations and services supporting people with additional needs in the community. Refer to programme contact details above for further information.
- Caring for Smiles training and resources for health and social care organisations/professionals and services supporting older people. Refer to programme contact details above for further information.
- Mouth Matters training and resources for organisations/staff supporting prisoners and people in custody, including Oral Health Peer Mentor training. Refer to programme contact details above for further information.
- Setting the Table training for Early Years providers on the Nutritional Guidance for Early Years
- Various resources available in the resources service
- Other training opportunities
Get In Touch
You can get in touch with the Health Improvement Service team by completing the contact form.
Do you need to see a dentist?
Find Local Dentists
Find your nearest Dentist using our Service Finder.